Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite

Go Back   ArianeSoft Forums > PPL - Pocket Programming Language > Support

Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Default Errors when trying to run PPL 1.6.1 and SERVULUS editors on device

Hey all,
When I try to run the editor or the visual forms editor for v. 1.6.1 on-device I get the runtime error "access violation at 0x3f700b8" with MAIN.PPL and the proc: GETSHORTCUTPATH. Retry/ignore won't get me past it; I can only abort after this shows up.

If you happen to be listening Nicknack (I'll PM you about this as well) I'm having trouble with SERVULUS also. The editor opens up just fine, but when I try to run a simple showMsg("hello"); I get the runtime error "access violation at 0x676bc" with SERVULUS.EXE and the proc: RUN(4,1). When I say OK I am sent back into the editor cleanly the first time, but if I try to run the program again I get a quick series of runtime errors that overlap each other and when I try to click OK or Cancel SERVULUS crashes and asks me to send an error report to microsoft...

I'm running WM 6.0 on an HP iPaq 111-- might it require one of the support programs from the Arianesoft download section? If so, which?

Thanks!

CresCo Games-- Sample Our Reality

http://crescogames.x10hosting.com
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 PM

hi,
first of all Servulus will work with all current and future releases of PPL at a chance of 99%. it is very unlikely kornalius changes the only important condition Servulus gives PPL only the path to the file which should be compiled, nothing more.
which PPL version have you used for testing? have you set up a correctly path to the PPL.exe in the options?
btw showmsg is not a supported function at all, I think you mean showmessage. anyway you should only get that message: "Syntax error at showmsg".
not sure why you are getting all these errors, need more information
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

hoo boy... just spent a long time uninstalling and reinstalling all PPL related files several times on my PPC with no luck. I have 1.6.2 installed now, and when I tried to point Servulus to it as the desired runtime there was nothing on the list of programs to choose from [I tried writing it in manually but that didn't work either]. Meanwhile, the PPL 1.6.2 editor still gave exactly the same runtime errors as before even after the un/reinstall. What are the WM 5/6 unlocker and signed registry editor support programs designed to help with? Is there a chance they could help me with these runtime errors?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM

that's really weird, I have also wm 6.0 and no problems at all. I have never used those support programs and the vfb works like a charm.
you say
Quote:
there was nothing on the list of programs to choose from
do get a file dialog at least? can you save a file and switch between directories? if not have you a gsgetfile.dll in your windows directory?
if you tweak it manually it should look like this in the confg.txt:
runtimepath=\Program Files\PPL\ppl.exe

do you get those runtime errors with any ppl file? have you directly associated the .ppl files to ppl.exe?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Good news- I got Servulus to work by manually typing in the path you gave above. Also, I found I can at least get into the editor and vfb for 1.6.2 by selecting them from under the file menu at the splash screen. Double clicking on their respective icons under the tools tab at the splash screen is what brought on the aforementioned errors. Unfortunately, when I try to actually run some code [just ShowMessage("helloworld");] it comes back with-- PPL Runtime Error App: MAIN.PPL (WNDPROC) access violation at 0x3f700b8.

edit: scratch that, Servulus is not yet working for me- not only does it report the same odd runtime error with RUN(4,1) as before, but now it won't even let me tap the little house so I can check the options settings! Whenever I try it comes back with a different runtime error, this one claiming to have a problem with Proc: HANDLETOOLBAR(4,1) Opcode: NGPUSHVAR Char/Line/Offset: 0,0 0x004559e4 and an access violation at 0x119a18 by HANDLETOOLBAR(4,1).

Thanks for all the advice; I hope I can get this sorted out soon...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM

just to get it clear: if you create a simple code file (showmessage("bla"); ) and run it directly with ppl.exe, so you have associated .ppl files to ppl.exe, does it work or not?!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Short answer: no, unfortunately not even that works

Long answer: I have gotten PPL.exe to run a simple hello world message once or twice BUT the message is always followed by a runtime error which forces me to abort the program. Usually though the error comes first and the code doesn't run at all.
As for Servulus, after I manually put in the file path you specified before and hit 'associate' it ran a hello world program perfectly once. I closed it after that and upon reopening it later to make sure everything still worked it gave me the runtime error when I tried to run the code as before, then started reporting runtime errors when I simply tried to interact with the toolbar...

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM

kornalius have you any idea? I have only two more: try to run code from pc over usb in pide or try another ppl version if you have any.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Good news- I got Servulus to work by manually typing in the path you gave above. Also, I found I can at least get into the editor and vfb for 1.6.2 by selecting them from under the file menu at the splash screen. Double clicking on their respective icons under the tools tab at the splash screen is what brought on the aforementioned errors. Unfortunately, when I try to actually run some code [just ShowMessage("helloworld");] it comes back with-- PPL Runtime Error App: MAIN.PPL (WNDPROC) access violation at 0x3f700b8.

edit: scratch that, Servulus is not yet working for me- not only does it report the same odd runtime error with RUN(4,1) as before, but now it won't even let me tap the little house so I can check the options settings! Whenever I try it comes back with a different runtime error, this one claiming to have a problem with Proc: HANDLETOOLBAR(4,1) Opcode: NGPUSHVAR Char/Line/Offset: 0,0 0x004559e4 and an access violation at 0x119a18 by HANDLETOOLBAR(4,1).

Thanks for all the advice; I hope I can get this sorted out soon...
I have 1.6.2 installed and I also get 'random' access violations when running different PPL programs. I'm running PPL on a HTC Universal with a T-mobile WM5 ROM. I suspect something wrong with PPL memory management, but I'm a PPL newbie so I could be completely wrong.
But something is not happy with 1.6.2 on my pocket pc, can anyone else confirm/deny the (in)stability of PPL on WM5?

Edit: I just re-tried a few things and when I run the Servulus executable and use it to run PPL programs I don't get the same errors as when I use the normal 1.6.2 application. The demo programs run successfully without the access violations. The access violations don't seem to happen in the demo programs themselves, it seems to come from the 1.6.2 PPL application. It's a bit strange because I'm calling the same program as the Servulus PPL runtime! Something seems wrong in 1.6.2, but I don't really know how to report it as a bug. I will keep using Servulus because it removes the annoying errors I get when using 1.6.2 directly. Can anyone try to explain what is going on?

Last edited by veryalien; 02-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 PM

it seems I get those errors, too. I would suggest we wait for 1.6.3, maybe the problems will be resolved. luckily it somehow works anyway, it could be worse.