Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Oups, I missed the update last week. Anyway, it is never too late right?

Things are progressing at a very good rate these days. The interface is getting pretty decent and very useable. I will need to optimize the code completion a bit later this week. Control alignments and anchoring is in place too, so layout out a form will be a piece of cake now.

Last week, I have finished the PTimer component, the PScript (which lets you execute PPL scripts very easily) and the PResource (which lets you include any file data into your code).

There will be a major optimization in the compiler/interpreter, it is called stack pre-caching, it allows to squeeze stack push operands into one, this should increase the speed of the interpreter by a lot. Everything is on paper right now, I will try to implement this feature this week and I will post back with some benchmarks.

I might be able to get some money in about a months and will hire someone part time to work on the documentation, which is a part of PPL 2.0 that will be very important.

The first beta of 2.0 should be around September or October at the latest and we should be able to look for a December release.

I will have more news next week.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

As you get deeper in a project of this size, you start to realize after a while that maybe all this hard work will never pay off. The marketing side of things is another full time project on its own. The you look into your pockets and realize they are empty, what do you do? Look for investors to help you during the development and pre-marketing phases? Invest money yourself? All these questions have been going through my heads many many times during the last couple of months. Basically, if you have no money, don't start a company. You need a lot of money to realize your projects to the end. I am learning the hard way but I am not ready to give up!

On a more positive note, PPL 2.0 development is still going strong, the new code editor is fantastic, it does so much to help you code in PPL. It supports unicode characters as well, which should be implemented very soon (multi-language support).

I hope to try the new optimization technic (pre-stack caching) on the interpreter this week, this feature will only be available in version 2.

Btw, if you are following this thread, please leave a note here, I hope I am not talking to myself... At least it will serve as good personal bed time reading for later.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM

Kornalius... where you are I have been... I feel your concerns and pray for you to pull through the rough phases. I started a company writing for the Atari ST and Amiga platforms in the mid 80's. Never made me rich but I'd not be the man I am today if I hadn't tried. Never underestimate the "Value" of passion -- don't get me wrong money is wonderful but it never replaces doing what you love. The biggest hint I can give you besides hang tough is to adjust your timescale when you need to... to conserve captial or energy. God bless you my friend. I can afford to use any tools I choose... I choose to use yours because of you. Stick with it!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Be successfull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornalius View Post

Btw, if you are following this thread, please leave a note here, I hope I am not talking to myself... At least it will serve as good personal bed time reading for later.
I'm following your development news on a weekly base.
Using PPL Pro since version 1.05 i would like to see Version 2 become true.
So be successfull.

Best regards
csandman
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM

I too am following your weekly updates and look forward to PPL 2.

I have been writing and marketing software for several years and true its hard to make money but I enjoyed the effort and I learned a lot.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Hi Kornalius,
here is another one eagerly waiting for news concerning PPL 2. I can't believe what you have done so far and, honestly, can't wait to lay my hands on the new version! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Hi kornalius.

PPL is by far the best pocket pc development language that I have used, and I have used 3, all from different price ranges. Not only does it perform well, but has lots of excellent functions.....and this is only version 1.51.

No adhoc runtimes, small exe and no download of .net runtimes. You are onto a winner!!

I eagerly await V2.0 and will definitely purchase. I think if everyone of the current users could mention PPL in 1 forum each, your marketing problem will be over as PPL can DEFINITELY sell itself.

Please keep up the excellent work and take comfort in the fact that you are already rich in appreciation and the money will follow..oh and I know a major competitor of yours are struggling with keeping their language afloat, with many unfixed errors on WM6. I for one migrated months ago due to unhappiness with performance and bugs. PPL is light years in front.

Nige
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Default hi

Hi Alain , go on ! everyone will support you.

you should look at the future with optimism because you have already
done a wonderful amazing job so this will bring to you the results you need.

Mat
Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Thanks a lot for the support.

I will need to focus on creating a community with PPL 2.0. The community is not very active anymore which is certainly due to the fact that we have slowed down updating PPL 1.x and we don't advertise much.

I will have another weekly update this weekend.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Halliday

Im still here Alain!

Busy as ever squeezing info into the Newsletter. - There has been a deflation factor recently though, but why? I cant quite put my finger on it.

I will be back to coding too soon as I have some great things I want to get working via PPL. - Have been a bit upset that there have not been any PPL 1.x updates of recent, but I guess you are all working hard on PPL2.

Do you have hardware specs for PPL 2.0 yet? or will it operate on the same spec as PPL 1 requires? I only ask because my development laptop is a tiny 1Ghz and PPL 1 work ok, but its kinda slow! :S

Mike.