Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Default PPL on other Platforms

There are many talks about "dying" of the WindowsMobile-platform. It is interesting for me if you have any plans to port this great language to other platforms, say, to Android or iPhone. And it would be a pretty thing if we could compile our programs for Linux too!

If I don't mistake, PPL compiler doesn't make the native code, so it isn't an impossible task to make the compiler really multi-platform???
Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Depending on the success of PPL 2, we will start work on PPL 3 with only one idea in mind... Rewrite the compiler/interpreter in its entirety. We have some ideas and here are some:

1. Use Java VM bytecodes: Fast, Small, Runs everywhere.
2. Mono bytecodes: Somewhat fast, Runs on many platforms.
3. Write our own multi-platform VM: Should be fast, Smaller than JavaVM and MonoVM, Runs on some platforms (Android, PC, Windows Mobile, Linux, BlackBerry, Symbian), dev. time = long.

By going with already made VM, we can provide faster execution, more robust interpretation, fast development time, tons of libraries accessible.

These are just ideas, we have not taken any decisions at this moment. All we know is that the syntax of the PPL language will remain very close to what it is now (our goal), only the runtime part will change.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM

If I could have a language like PPL that ran on Windows Mobile, Android and Blackberry, that would be awesome. The rest are just bonuses. I originally got into Pocket PC development because it was so close to Windows development, but now I'm ready for something different and I don't want to have to keep learning new languages and environments.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator

What runtime environment would you like PPL 3 to use?

At this point, it looks like we are going to write our own multi-platform interpreter/JIT compiler, it will be smaller and very fast. The only real problem is all the different GUI API's. Going with Qt or some cross-platform GUI library might be an easier solution. Writing native GUI API's for each platform is not something we can do with our resources.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM

I'm not too particular about the runtime at this point. If you can come up with something that's small and fast and portable, that would be great. My only concern on this would be what your definition of "long" is in regards to development time. I agree about the challenge with the GUI, and I can't offer much advice there because I'm not that familiar with development on devices other than Windows Mobile.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: PPL on other Platforms

A cross platform compiler interpreter is something that will take me quite some time of course and most probably all by myself once more.

I will need to see how PPL 2 goes first. I also need to make sure I start this new project's development pretty fast as I don't want to release PPL 3 more than one year after 2.

Rewritting the compiler is one thing but rewriting the api's will be massive work. Should I open source the API work? The API will be written in PPL anyway so it will be open by definition.

Lot's of questions, if there is enough feedback from the community then it might be feasible to release 3 in a year.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Halliday
Default RE: PPL on other platforms

One thing you won't have to worry about is a code editor. There are many fine editors on the PC and I'm sure the original PPL V1 editor could be tweaked for the mobile devices?

Lots of PC editors can pass through compiler commands, and can also be changed for syntax highlighting.

Sometimes I use notepad or Crimson Editor as well as PIDE - depends what mood I'm in!

Personally, I would love to be able to code on the PC, then make PC, WM6.1/5, Android, Blackberry and Linux executables, even though I dont have all this hardware! Truly portable code - Makes MS VB/VC look shoddy and out of date at this point!

Imagine, a game created on PPL, that you can play on almost every device available! - NickNack's vision of a PPL RPG could be played anytime, anywhere on anything! hee hee

For PPL V3 to be truly spectacular Alain will need to work long and hard on the cross compiler and runtimes.

@Alain: Have you seen lazarus? - www.lazarus.freepascal.org - This is a cross compiler that supports many platforms. - I have not looked in depth at this, but a quick glance shows it has many followers and developers. Can't see why PPLV3 would not ultimately be like this?

Will V2.x or V3 eventually be able to compile to .DLL under Windows and WM? - This is something that VB/VC has over PPL at the moment. Is this something you are considering?

Last edited by Mike Halliday; 09-15-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Default Re: PPL on other Platforms

Is there something wrong with the actual ppl 2 code editor? I really plan on using the same IDE for v3, just concentrate on the compiler part. Of course I will add some new features to the IDE but this is not the main goal.

I know about freepascal and it is a good compiler. I might even look into using it's bytecode compiler if it is feasible. That would save me so much work.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Halliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornalius View Post
Is there something wrong with the actual ppl 2 code editor? I really plan on using the same IDE for v3, just concentrate on the compiler part. Of course I will add some new features to the IDE but this is not the main goal.

I know about freepascal and it is a good compiler. I might even look into using it's bytecode compiler if it is feasible. That would save me so much work.

There is nothing wrong with the V2 code editor. I was thinking that if you were going to re-write it for V3 like you did for V2 then why not put your efforts more into the compiler and let users choose which editor they want to use? If you are going to use the V2 editor and not re-write it then you are still saving development time, so its all good!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM

I prefer it also editor independet. it would give us the opportunity to write and update the (open official/our own) editor seperated from the runtime. there could be several versions with different focuses, like pure speed or most helpful functions.
in sum: you have less workload and we have more possibilities

Last edited by Nicknack; 09-17-2009 at 08:58 PM.